Cooking time: 1 hour
Prep. time: 90 minutes
Total time: 2 hour and 30 minutes
Yield: 18 rolls
- 250gr potatoes
- 350gr flour
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 15 ml milk
- 10 gr sunflower oil
- 15 gr yeast
- 5 gr salt
- 50 gr ham
- 50 gr mozzarella or provola cheese
- 18 pitted Taggiasca olives
- 2 spoons of olive oil
- Boil the potatoes with the skin, for around 30 minutes. When they are soft, drain and peel them. Smash the potatoes with a fork or a potatoes smasher and let them cool
- Pour the flour into a bowl of a kitchen machine and add the crumbled yeast. Then add the mashed potatoes and mix well. IF you do not have a kitchen machine you can do it with your hands in a bowl
- Proceed turning the mixture and add the salt. When the dough is homogeneous, add the sunflower oil and knead until it has been absorbed
- Add the egg and processed until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer it to a surface sprinkled with plenty of flour and work it for a few moments
- Give the dough a spherical shape. Place it in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for about 50 minutes in a dry place until doubled. I like to leave it inside the turned off oven with just the light on
- While waiting cut the mozzarella (or provola) and ham into cubes with a knife.
- After 50 mins transfer the dough onto a pastry board
- Create small balls of around 36 gr. You will have around 18 balls. Then lightly squeeze the center to expand the dough
- Flatten the balls with your fingers. Stuffed with a peace of ham, a piece of mozzarella (or provola cheese) and an olive
- Carefully close the balls and create a round shape.
- Place the balls in a mould previously greased with olive oil (or butter). The mould needs to be big enough to leave some space between one ball and another since they will continue to grow a bit
- Let them rest for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180° in statics mode and whisk the yolk together with the milk
- After 30 mins brush the mixture onto the surface of the potato danubio
- Place the mould on the low shelf and cook in the preheated oven (180°) for about 20/25 minutes, until it is golden brown
You can change the filling as you like. I suggest:
- tomatoes sauce, mozzarella and basil
- dried tomatoes and mozzarella
- precooked vegetables and cheese
I am curious to know your results!